Monday, June 11, 2018

Moulton Wins Third Race In A Row

Mic Moulton is now three for three in the Mid-City Motor World Super Six Late Model Challenge Series
(Photo Courtesy Sherie Bialous)

Via RAR Media

Eureka, CA (June 11, 2018) – Racing returned to Redwood Acres Raceway on Saturday for the fourth race of the 2018 season. All six divisions were in action for Renner Petroleum Night at the Races including the Super Six Late Model Challenge Series cars which last raced on May 12th.

Fast time for the Compass Community Credit Union roadrunners was Daniel Buell with a 20.565. Main event one was dominated by Buell. Tim Ratzlaff got past Buell on lap eight but had to surrender the lead on lap 10 as he broke the 21-second barrier. Buell was able to pull out a substantial lead while Ratzlaff had to do all he could to close in on the leader. Ratzlaff finally caught up to Buell with three laps remaining and maneuvered by to take the lead. At the checkered flag it was Ratzlaff winning over Buell, Ronny Crump, Lindsey Zito and Allan Anderson.

Zito led the field to the green in the second main but Nick Ford quickly took over. Ford led up to lap 11 until he broke the 21-second rule and had to give up the lead to Ratzlaff. The three cars of Ratzlaff, Buell and Ford had a great battle for the lead. With four laps remaining, Buell was able to take over the lead. He was able to maintain that lead from that point on to take the victory. Ratzlaff took second while Crump, Ford and Jacob Wilkinson rounded out the top five.

Lane Anderson set fast time for the Bandolero cars. Anderson took the trophy dash win while Maleesa Miles was the heat race winner. Miles and Anderson had a spectacular race from the drop of the green flag. Anderson dogged Miles all race long. Miles got loose on a few occasions but was able to maintain the lead on Anderson. The two drivers were never more than less than a car-length apart. At the finish it was Miles winning flag-to-flag just narrowly over Anderson and Kimberling.

Qualifying for the NorthCoast Lighting & Electric was paced by Chris Lawrence at a 18.241. The trophy dash was won by Tyler Peach while the two head races went to Brandon White and Lawrence. Katina Baker took over the lead for the first four laps before giving way to Lawrence. His closest competition came from White. Lapped traffic played a role in the last half of the race. White was able to close in on Lawrence several times, including finding himself inside of Lawrence. In spite of White’s pressure, Lawrence kept his cool and was able to cross the line first at the finish. White placed second while Aiden Daniels, Wyatt Hobart and Baker finished the top five.

Ryan Walters was the fastest in qualifying for the Fortuna Wheel & Brake bombers at a 18.332. Sam Brown won the trophy dash after Walters and Jim Redd got together. Walters recovered to take the heat race win. Wyatt Roach took the lead and he and Walters had a race-long fight for the lead. Walters stayed on Roach’s bumper and with less than five laps remaining it appeared as thought he was going to make a serious challenge for the lead. With three laps to go, Walters got loose coming off turn four allowing Roach to pull away. At the finish it was Roach winning. Walters, Redd, Bethany Rapp and Brown rounded out the top five finishers.

In the Humboldt Hydroponics mini stocks, Brian Murrell, Sr. was quick time setting an 18.899 qualifying effort. The trophy dash was won by Gary Klientobe while the heat race victors were Trevor Eacret and Eugene Palmer. Several caution flags slowed the feature event. The most notable when it appeared Klinetobe hit the wall between turns one and two. Eacret led most of the race but had his hands full with Murrell, Sr. who was right in his mirror. Murrell, Sr. swept into the lead with five laps remaining. Murrell, Sr. was able to hang on to the lead and take the win over Palmer, Eacret, Brian Murrell, Jr. and Jordan Paiment.

Fast time for the Mid-City Motor World Super Six Challenge Series late model cars was David Henderson 15.874. The first heat was won by Kenny Demello while Marty Walsh’s win in the second heat granted him pole position for the main event. The 60-lap feature event presented by NorthCoast Lighting & Electric was slowed from the start when Scott Baker got loose crossing the start line and sliding into the mud created by rain earlier in the day. The restart was clean and Walsh immediately jumped to the lead. David Henderson slotted into the second position and did his best to try and chase down Walsh. As the laps clicked off, it appeared as though Walsh had the race-winning car. He had a substantial advantage over Henderson and the rest of the field. Mic Moulton passed Henderson on lap 30 and made his try to challenge Walsh.

At lap 40, it was heartbreak for Walsh as his car lost power down the straightaway. Moulton moved to the lead while Walsh had to limp his car to the pits. Henderson made one last run on Moulton in the final five laps but time ran out for him. Moulton was able to take the victory, his third straight of 2018. Henderson was second. Dennis DelBiaggio was third in his first race of the season. Kenny Demello was fourth while Ken Hallis had a solid run with a fifth.

Racing returns to Redwood Acres Raceway in two weeks. The event will be a special one as it will be on Friday June 22nd. The late models and bombers will have the night off while the rest of RAR’s divisions will be in action. The first boat race of the year will conclude the event. More horsepower will be displayed the following night Saturday June 23rd as tractor pulls are the featured event. VIP tickets are available on Redwood Acres Raceway’s website, More information about the tractor pulls can be found at You can also visit Redwood Acres Raceway on Facebook